The majority of people adore shortcuts, especially keyboard shortcuts. These allow us to complete tasks and access apps and websites more quickly. There's no better place to keep them if you use the Notes program on your Mac. When you're jotting down a note, you want to have it done quickly so you can get on with your day.
We've assembled a list of keyboard shortcuts for the Notes app on your Mac for all of you note-takers.
The Notes Window
To function with the Notes app and window, use the keyboard shortcuts mentioned below.
- Display the window: 0 + Command
- In a list view, display notes: 1 + Command
- In gallery view, display the following notes: 2 + Command
- Changing from one window note to another: Tab
- New Note: N + Command
- Add a new folder: Shift + Command + N
- Search Notes: Option + Command + F
Shortcuts for Note Editing & Formatting
You can use keyboard shortcuts to format your notes and add items to them.
- Make use of Shift + Command + T for title formatting
- Use the Shift + Command + H shortcut to format your headings.
- Use the Shift + Command + J shortcut to format subheadings.
- Use Shift + Command + B to format the body.
- Command + Plus (+) to increase the text size
- Reduce the text size by pressing Command + Hyphen (-)
- Attach a file: A + Command + Shift
- Make a hyperlink: K + Command
- Shift + Command + Greater Than Sign (>) to zoom in on a note.
- Shift + Command + Less Than Sign () to zoom out of a note
- Command + P to print a note
Shortcuts for Lists
Keep these shortcuts in mind if you like to use lists in Notes, whether bulleted, counted, or verified.
- Use checklist formatting: Command + L + Shift
- Increase list level: Command + Right Bracket or Tab
- Reduce list level: Shift + Tab or Command + Left Bracket
- To move an object up the list, do the following: Up Arrow + Control + Command
- Transfer an object from the top of the list to the bottom: Down Arrow + Control + Command
- In a list, insert a line break as follows: Return + Control
- Use Shift + Command + U to mark or unmark a checklist item
Shortcuts for Tables
These keyboard shortcuts are useful if you deal with tables in your notes.
- Create a table: T + Option + Command
- Below, add a row: Down Arrow + Option + Command
- Above, add a row: Option + Command + Up Arrow
- To the right, add a column: Right Arrow + Option + Command
- To the left, add a column: Left Arrow + Option + Command
- Inside a cell, add a break: Return + Option
- Move a cell to the right: Tab
- Move a cell to the left: Tab + Shift
- Choose a row: Shift + Right Arrow or Left Arrow
- Choose a column: Up Arrow or Down Arrow + Shift
- Choose a table: While your cursor is in the table, press Command + A.
As you can see, Notes on Mac has a plethora of keyboard shortcuts. Those you want to use the most often will become such a routine that you will forget about them, while others will be difficult to recall. So, save this page and come back to it for new shortcuts you haven't tried before.
Do you have any other Notes on Mac tips or shortcuts? If so, please share them in the comments section so that we can all try them!